I'm using a recipe from Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn's book Charcuterie that calls for 5 pounds of first-cut brisket. After a lengthy discussion however with my butcher, I decided that I would use the whole brisket, rather than just the first cut. The first cut is the leaner of the two, and is commonly used to make leaner corn beef. That's not good. I want fat, and I want it now!
I got the brisket then proceeded to make the brine, which called for pickling spice, mucho salt, sugar, some pink curing salt, and some garlic. I dissolved the salt and sugar in a gallon of water which I brought to a simmer, then cooled it and put it in the refrigerator, where it is currently waiting for the beef.
Yea don't worry I have pictures
Look at that hunk of meat!